Neurological conditions are diseases affecting the nervous system (Brain, spinal cord and nerves) of the body. This system communicates from the brain to your body and from the body to the brain. Any disease or injury in this system may cause neurological symptoms such as poor balance, hampered sensation, difficulty in using arms and legs properly and even paralysis.
Although researchers are still working on finding a cure for such problems, various coping skills and maintenance strategies help patients lead an independent life.
Neurological physiotherapy is one of the most wide branches of physiotherapy. It involves therapeutic techniques that your physiotherapist uses have the potential to transform disability into ability. For a person with a disability, it works like a miracle. However, it demands patience and perseverance.
Role of physiotherapy in neurological conditions
What improvement will I see in my condition after neuro specific physical rehabilitation?
The benefits of neurological physical rehabilitation are multifactorial: –
- If you have balance and coordination issues like ataxia, Parkinson’s disease, or multiple sclerosis, physiotherapy will help you to improve balance and coordination.
- It improves activities of daily living to reduce dependency on other, such as gripping and holding with hands, rising from sitting, turning and rolling, walking and stair climbing.
- Improve the quality of life overall.
- Increase stamina, which is called endurance.
- Strength and flexibility are two important role of muscles which allow us to complete a task. The muscle works only when they get order from the brain. Precise treatment and goal-specific therapeutic exercises will improve functions and assist you in reaching your goal, whether it is a return to routine work or sports.
- It also develops control and stability.
- Motivation and encouragement: we understand that being diagnosed with a neuro-condition can be frustrating. The treatment requires a lot of education, awareness and motivation. Here, we give you a one-on-one session to listen to your concerns and address each challenge. We maintain your privacy throughout the process.
Frequently asked questions:
If the root cause of your problem comes from the brain or from the spinal cord and nerves, the condition comes under neurology. However, it is important to find out the root cause as the treatment and outcomes vary from condition to condition.
- Stroke leading to paralyses
- Brain injury
- Motor neuron diseases
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Traumatic conditions such as gun shot injury, bomb blast survival and road traffic accidents.
- Cerebral Palsy
- Learning disability
- Muscular dystrophy
- Parkinson’s disease
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Balance and Mobility Issue
- Difficulty coordination
- Transverse myelitis
If you can’t see your condition on the list, please give us a call to enquire.
Getting an accurate diagnosis is the first step on the road to recovery. If you have not been diagnosed yet, physiotherapy doctors will run a complete examination of you and diagnose you in collaboration with a neurologist, as and when required.
The second step is the most important. This is when your physiotherapist identifies your problem area and makes goal to achieve it. These goals are achieved through physiotherapy techniques that cause neuroplasticity in the brain.
Neuroplasticity is the process in which the brain forms new wires and helps in relearning activities that become difficult due to disease or injury.
The third step needs patience and motivation. You work with your physiotherapy in partnership where they guide you on exercises and use electro-machines if required to achieve your goals.
The fourth step is the maintenance phase. Since most of the neuro conditions have a slow recovery process and have a tendency to go reverse, your physio will help you to draw up a regimen which you must follow as prescribed.
Sometimes our body does not regain the previous level of fitness due to some condition. In such cases, we make sure you learn a new skill or technique for doing the same task effectively.
The Zone active physiotherapy clinic offers a multi-disciplinary solution meant to address the concerns of neurologically ill or injured patients. We use the neuroplasticity phenomenon in your brain to recover itself. This is a phenomenon that helps the brain rewire and form new connections. Thus, relearn the activities, tasks, or abilities that may have been affected due to a diagnosed neurological condition.
This makes neuro-rehabilitation different from traditional physiotherapy. We follow an evidence-based and data-driven treatment approach.
As many neuro patients are deficient in balance and coordination and require a wheelchair, the highest standard of care in terms of safety protocols is required. The clinic’s interior design takes into account the safety, needs, and comfort of disabled patients.
We understand that, in some cases, coming down to the clinic gets challenging due to fear of falling and lack of wheelchair accessibility. We want to assure you that our clinic is safe and constructed considering the needs of patients. Since we have many international patients also, the quality of the treatment we provide as per international standards.